Dimitri

Hong Kong - Private Collection.

'Dimitri the Money God' was a Commission for a very extraordinary Chinese backpacker named Wong  Lai-Yin (or Alfie as we knew him) who came to stay at el Casa de Zingaro for a week or so after a 9 month wonder-lust-globe-trotting-mission. My brother and he had met in Costa Rica while on an expedition together. 

He described the vision for his painting to me in his characteristic broken English;  "Is yellow being.........not sure if man or woman.........maybe a lot of pretty women round him........not a lot of symbol........he is money god........ya". 

I think it is safe to say hat I was totally mystified as to what he meant so I ended up doing something a little different

At the time of posting this I imagine that Alfie is in an airplane somewhere over Bhutan, the painting, safely rolled up in his battered backpack. He said, while walking out the door with a massive grin, that he would take care of it and hang it on his bedroom wall in his family's 5th floor Hong Kong apartment........I liked the idea very much.

No comments: